HISTORY OF THE GREATER AKRON AQUARIUM SOCIETY
Akron Aquarium Society
First meeting: September 7, 1934 held at M. O’Neils store
President – Dr. H. E. Blass
Vice President – J. D. Hartley
Secretary – Harry Paul
Treasurer – T. F. Curley
Show Chairman – W. A. Belt
Held 11 annual shows. H. H. Paul was the last President and W. J. Church was the last Secretary.
Greater Akron Aquarium Society
Founders: Mr. Fred Stryker, Mr. E. J. Van Boven
First Meeting: August 17, 1952 held at Ellet Branch of Akron Public Library
President – Fred Stryker
Vice President – Emery J. Van Boven
Secretary – Roy Whaley
Treasurer – William Brown
Tank Topics Trivia
First issue printed by Tom Huth, who’s still an active Life Member, in September 1972.
Previously, a one-page newsletter was started in April 1972.
Mike Neelon won the contest to name the new newsletter. It was a name previously
The first locally written article was the column, Hows and Whys of Saltwater by Mike Neelon,
(The North American Goldfish Championship has been part of the GAAS shows since 1981)